I am a nurse and family therapist in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My educational credentials include a Bachelor of Nursing degree (BN), and a Master of Marriage and Family Therapy degree (MMFT). I worked since 1984 in mental health nursing, first as a staff nurse and then Unit Manager of the Schizophrenia Treatment & Education Program (STEP) at Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg, and served for 20 years on the board of the Manitoba Schizophrenia Society. From 2001 to 2017 I taught family nursing and mental health nursing at Red River College. In 2001 I co-founded Assiniboine Family Therapy (private practice group) in Winnipeg and had a private practice there before going into nursing education full-time.
I am a registered nurse (RN) in good standing with the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba, and a member of the International Family Nursing Association.
I offer family consultations and public education regarding family health and relationship health. A particular focus is on families coping with illness, especially mental illness. to that end I also offer workshops and presentations for nurses and health care workers, on integrating and engaging families.
Examples of Past Presentations:
- Wholistic treatment of schizophrenia. Presentation to Manitoba Schizophrenia Society family support group
- Family dynamics. Presentation to South Winnipeg Family Information Centre
- Stress and burnout. Presentation to Grace Hospital staff
- Sibling relationships in later life. Presentation to Westworth United Church study group
- Schroeder, W (2017) Leveraging social media in #familynursing practice. Journal of Family Nursing, 23 (1), doi: 10.1177/1074840716684228. Go to article online
- Herzog, E.A., Varcarolis, E.M. & Schroeder, W. (2014) Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders. In M. J. Halter, C.L. Pollard, S.L. Ray & M. Haase (Eds.), Varcarolis’s Canadian psychiatric mental health nursing: a clinical approach (1st Canadian edition, pp. 284-319). Toronto ON: Elsevier.
- Morgan, K.I. , Shoemaker, C. & Schroeder, W. (2014) Therapeutic groups. In M. J. Halter, C.L. Pollard, S.L. Ray & M. Haase (Eds.), Varcarolis’s Canadian psychiatric mental health nursing: a clinical approach (1st Canadian edition, pp. 687-698). Toronto ON: Elsevier
- Egan, G. & Schroeder, W. (2009) The skilled helper: a problem-management and opportunity-development approach to helping. (1st Canadian edition) Toronto ON: Nelson Education
I can be contacted at email@example.com